X-ray Mutagenesis on Wisconsin Fast Plants
After getting the active readings, I ended up putting my left over Wisconsin Fast Plant confetti seeds (about 25 of them) into the chamber. I 'cooked' them for about 4.5-5minutes with 3vdc going into the HV module. So I'll be planting some of my 2nd generation fast plants, unexposed first gen seeds and these x-ray exposed seeds later today.
I have the seeds planted in 4 rows: A, B, C, D with columns 1-16
- Row D 2-15 X-Ray Exposed
- Row C 2-15 F1 Generation of purple stem WFP
- Row B 2-15 Un-exposed Confetti Seeds
- Row A 2-14 X-Ray Exposed
- Row A: 2, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14
- Row B: 2, 9, 14
- Row C: None
- Row D: 4, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15
Interesting that the exposed seeds are germinating so quickly compared to the rest. The F1 seeds are not the most vital since they spent half their life in low light conditions (probably).
Ok, so I did some more experiments with the x-ray stuff and I think the x-rays I was producing at 3vdc were too soft for the seeds to be so viable. They should actually be taking MORE time (because of the time required to repair the DNA). I turned up the voltage to ~4.5v and was able to get the geiger counter going wild outside the lead container.
So I exposed my collection of cat's claw seeds that I collected while running through an alleyway. After about 5 minutes at 4.5vdc into the HV module + 2x2a I spread the seeds through a little section of the garden. I've read they can take anywhere from 3weeks to 3+months to germinate, I've had a small pot going with no success yet. We'll see what we can pull from the chaos!
- Looks like there's three cotyledon leaves on that first picture (A7)
- Both cotyledon leaves appeared diminished, but secondary leaves still grew, although small(A9)
- The 2nd to last picture shows a plant that have given up radial symmetry, and the flower buds appear to be pointing down(A14)
- And finally the last picture is one of the most interesting mutants so far, the cotyledon leaves have extended stems (D8)
Buds have begun to form, there is a lot of variation with the height of the plants which makes lighting difficult.
- Row A: 2, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14
- Row B: 2, 5, 6, 8, 12
- Row C: None
- Row D: 4, 8, 13, 15
None of my F1 seeds germinated :( (Row C). The x-ray exposed rows (A and D) showed at 40% survival rate (11/27 seeds). The unexposed seeds showed at 35% survival rate, which is odd because the first time I grew M0 fast plant seeds they had almost 100% survival rate out of 42 seeds. I suspect there was a fungal infection of some sort carried over from the first round of seeds combined with over-watering. I need to come up with a better watering solution.
Pictures from left to right:
- A picture of the mold that has taken over the whole setup, it was there the first time, but it's come around much sooner and much stronger than the first time. I need to probably just toss this setup and think of something new.
- Picture of D15's deformed seed pods or Silique not sure what their final form will be, but the initial plant wasn't too different besides having one shrunk cotyledon.
- A13 produced a 2nd set of flowers from the first Y branching after the first set went immediately from bud to silique production seeming to skip pollen production and the flowers even seemed to die off before even existing.
- A full shot of A13
- A7 was the one with the tri-cotyledon and grew a stem with weak flowers all the way up to a bunch of flowers that seem to be producing pollen and I've been pollinating it by hand and keeping the pollen sticks labelled and separate.
- A13 roots since they stood out to me today. I still have the light on and am letting the seeds mature, hopefully some will be viable.
- A14 cluster of compressed buds, no attempts at flowering just yet
Late with this final update on the first round of x-ray'd fast plants. I'm just going to post pictures and then turn the X-RayMutagenesis page into a hub page leading to a page for each species that I'm messing with.
This is the only pic from this date (besides one of a datura pod), it's of plant A9 which was the one that started with the stunted cotyledons, waited a while then made the stem where it created a bunch of buds without any yellow pedals or pollen, you can see a white flower parts in the middle. I didn't get any seed (unsurprisingly).
Another single picture of plant A14, this one started with the buds facing downwards.
- A14 with it's strange silique etc
- A13, it looks like silique formed where seeds should have been growing and are bursting out, none of the seeds from this plant looked viable, but it was one of my favorite mutants
- A14 again, 13 days later, more silique and attempts at "correct" behavior.
- A9, fallen pedals
10/28/19 - Clean up and collect seed
Here are the final pictures of the plants before I clean out the tray.
- The tray before cleaning
- A9 looking sad, I stopped watering on the 23rd I think
- A1, I was hoping those shadows would be a couple good seeds, but they looked pretty wilted when I broke it open.
- Seed bags, A7 produced a big fat seed with some strange little ones, worth seeing if it will germinate, D15 was the only mutant to produce "normal" looking seed, but that was after it created a separate stalk that produced non-deformed silique. The first flush of silique didn't produce seed, just pollen I think. Row B was the non-mutant seeds.
And that's it for the first round of Wisconsin Fast Plant mutations! For the next round I need to come up with a more regulated watering system (wick on wick instead of wick into water) and maybe give the plants a bit more room and start with the "astro plants" variety of WFP.