What is a laser cane?
A laser cane is a "cueing device" for people with Parkinson's disease. I've been a caregiver for my father with PD for almost 10 years and was curious about the laser cane device, however the prices for canes on the market were close to $200 (just google 'laser cane') and inspired me to try and prototype something that could attach to existing canes. Here's a video from that:
Files for 3D printing.
- This is the part that holds the laser and battery pack: laser_cane.stl
- This is the current iteration of tactile switch holder that allows you to attach it to a cane handle: cane-button-v3.stl
Here are all the parts that need to be sourced to put the laser cane together.
- Laser Module
- I've ordered 3 different types (8/05/19) to try, this one is the cheapest and the most similar to the one I used when I first started this project 4 years ago, or so.
- Battery holder
- I used a 2x AAA battery holder for 3v, however a CR2032 button cell should work fine and be lighter and less bulky.
- 6x6x5mm normally open tactile pushbutton switch
- I'll be designing a better switch when this order arrives
- 30ga wire to hook everything up
- ~13mm wide double sided velcro strap (used to organize cables a lot of the time)